Wednesday, June 24, 2015

It's Alive!

A common question that gets asked when Hunters and Huntresses are working on family search is: Why can't I find my parents? My siblings? My own aunts and uncles?

And this is what I ask them: Are they alive?

Family Search is an amazing website, and it protects individuals privacy. What that means is if a person is alive then their information is kept private for them. I have a Family Search account, and so do my two sisters. When I first logged on I filled in my information and voila! There I was as the beginning of my tree. I also added in my sisters, individually, and my parents- because they are currently alive. I was able to search for three of my four grandparents in the system because they are dead and their records are available. 

On my sister's accounts they have created files for themselves, and for our parents etc. What that means is I currently exist at least three times. Uh oh! We don't want multiple files of a person- that's the whole point of merging files! But it's alright, because I am alive. Someday after I die and my information is public on Family Search then someone will reconcile the files of me into one, and then all the trees I'm on will connect in a new way.

This privacy also effects any photographs, or memories you add to a living person.
My dad also uses Family Search. When he adds a picture or memory of his deceased father to that file, we can all see it. It's really amazing! Suddenly all the people connected to grandpa can see old pictures, and read about the adventures of his Scouting days (my paternal grandfather was the ultimate Scout Master). 
However, my dad added a picture of me to the account he created for me, and I can't see it. Why? Because I'm alive and the account he created for me is (essentially) off line. It's individual and only my dad can see what he's added for me. 

Basically, people who are dead have files that can be viewed by anyone and are connected to other trees.
People who are alive have private, individual, offline files that can only be seen and accessed by the person who created them. 

It's a great opportunity to be able to create accurate accounts of family that are currently alive because we can get all their information perfect! We can ask them exactly when their birthday is, and where they were born (city, county, state, and country!) We can also add memories of them right now. In this, we are able to have full, complete files of our loved ones. 

How often have you wished you could ask someone on your tree who their relatives were? Wouldn't it all be easier if each family member had kept an honest, and exact journal?
Don't wait to interview living families. Don't regret the time you have now! In an early post I listed some solid interview questions for talking with loved ones. That list can help you in creating a loved one's living file. 

As you work on your family tree and find yourself frustrated in trying to find a family member take the time to pause, and remember that if they're alive it's private, deceased then it's public. 



Happy Hunting! 

1 comment:

  1. This is a very helpful explanation of how that works. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete