Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Hooray for Saint Patrick's Day!
Today is a fantastic Irish holiday, and one that I particularly love as a redhead, and as someone with Irish roots. I am continually fascinated with figuring out who and when my ancestors immigrated from other countries to come to America. I had looked through the family history that had been done but all I found were generations upon generations of relatives proudly claiming to be Scottish and Irish but they had lived in Virginia for centuries. So when did they come here?
So, I hunted!
And I finally found my Irish link! My four-greats grandmother Mary Flood immigrated from Ireland. She was born in 1844 and her parents encouraged, and then begged her to immigrate after being in jail four times. The next infraction would mean a life sentence.
The first time she was jailed was for stealing food so some children wouldn't starve. The next was because she beat up a man who was trying a rape a girl. Third was beating up a man for beating his wife. And the last time was for intervening on another rape attempt and beating up the man.
She is incredible!
Mary left Ireland and went to New York where she met her future husband- William Sullivan. Together they married, and moved to Virginia.
I am proud to be a descendant of such a stalwart, and incredible woman. She stood up for what was right at great personal risk, and moved through life with determination.
And so, this Saint Patrick's Day my thoughts turn to Mary Flood, and the gamble she took to leave the "Emerald Isle" and try something new.
This is now one of my favorite stories to share when talking about family history- how about you? What amazing people do you have in your family tree?

Happy Hunting, and Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment