Sunday, March 1, 2015

Why Family History?

For each person the reason they begin doing their family history work varies. For some, it begins as a class or school project and their interest is peaked to go further. Some might have noticed a friend’s enthusiasm while working on their family tree, and wanted to try it for themselves. There are as many reasons as their are people in this world. 
Some of my earliest memories of my mother’s father were his bi-annual visits and how he always wanted to draw out the family tree with me. I was the only one he did this with. As the oldest in my family I felt like it was my responsibility to listen to his stories, and nod my head dutifully. As an adult I value those moments and wish I had paid attention better. 
I remember my Grandpa telling me how much family meant to him and how much understanding our heritage would help us today. He told me about my ancestors and the work they did and things they contributed to this world. Some worked in the courts of Kings of England, and how their work as ambassadors helped the monarchy etc. 


To me family history means learning more about myself. The sacrifices of those who came before me are my inheritance. Your ancestors are yours to claim. What they fought for is what we now enjoy. My forbearers who immigrated, who established traditions, who learned skills, trades, and worked to be better for their children- that is mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment