Monday, April 20, 2015

Obituaries

A new and exciting feature of the Family Search site that has recently come about is an improved look at obituaries. While death isn't a happy topic it's incredible what we can learn from the articles that are written about our ancestors and family. 
This week, Family Search e-mailed me to let me know that my grandfather's obituary had been found. I was able to read through the document, and then decide if I wanted to attach it to his file. It was really exciting to be able to learn a little more about him through the point of view of someone researching his life from the outside. 
What should really stand out from that story is that Family Search contacted ME. This is a function that really makes this site unique- they actively are looking for connections to make researching and learning about our ancestors easier and exciting. 
In the link is an article for the obituary of my recently deceased uncle to give an example of what an obituary looks like. 

Good luck hunters!


No comments:

Post a Comment