Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Family History Bug

The Family History Bug is an exciting one to be bitten by. It seems that all of a sudden you can't wait until it's time to sit in front of the computer and do more research. Connect more line! Find more ancestors! 
I know that for myself discovering my love for Family History readjusted all my hobbies, and priorities. Rather than scroll aimlessly through a social media site I found myself going through Family Search and looking at more ancestors. 
A huge reason I was (and still am) so excited is because I believe that families are forever, and when I am learning and finding more of my family members to plug into my tree I feel like I'm doing something that makes a difference. 
It has been so much fun to look through my family tree and read the different names, or to start making connections of who is related to whom. I love to image that some of my long past cousins knew each other like I know and adore my cousins now. I often wonder what habits and family traditions have been passed down to me today. 
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and through my belief in Jesus Christ I know that the people that I am learning about are people that I can see again someday. So when friends at school and work ask why I love genealogy so much I try to tell them how it feels like a digital family reunion, and with each new thing I discover I feel like I'm a little closer to these ancestors of days past.
There is a great documentary series about South America called "The Buried Mirror". The concept behind the title is that our past is buried, and as we dig and discover it we can look into a mirror that will show us ourselves more clearly as well as the people and events that came before us. 
While I firmly believe that each person makes their own decisions and decides their own destiny, there is also something strikingly true about learning more about ourselves as we uncover our past. 
As we each dig deeper into the past to find more ancestors, we can also discover pieces of ourselves. Until next time...
Good luck Hunters and Huntresses! 

No comments:

Post a Comment