Friday, November 27, 2015

National Day of Listening

Today is the National Day of Listening! 


This morning Family Search said: "If a family member tells a story and no one is around to hear it, does it still get passed on?"

I love this! National Day of Listening is the perfect day to enjoy hearing the stories of those family members around us. Many people in America are still surrounded by family as Thanksgiving weekend continues on. Ask questions, listen, and record what you hear.

Maybe you need a little help. I totally understand. It's not always easy to know what to ask to prompt a good story, but luckily the History Channel has a great series going on right now that could be just what you need. 


The History Channel is running a documentary series about Christmas traditions, popular toys, musical performances, what sitting Presidents did etc through different decades. This week they featured the 1960's. Next week will be the 1970's and so on. 
Yesterday after Thanksgiving dinner my family and I watched the first episode of this series, and it was so much fun! My parents were both children in the 1960's and the commercials and fun facts provided by the show gave way to them reminiscing about their childhood. It was fun to actually see what toys they had, but also to have them add on to what the show was saying. It was especially interesting to hear them talk about Bob Hope, President Kennedy, and America at war. I loved it! I'm so excited to watch Christmas of the 1970's next week too. 

The show is available if you have the History Channel itself, but I bought just the episode on iTunes for $3.99. Not a bad price for an evening of fun, and learning more about my family. 

I hope where ever you are today that you take the time to listen, and enjoy your family history. This holiday season will be an exciting and prime time to talk with family members. Enjoy it!

Happy Holidays! And Happy Hunting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment